Seattle Animal Shelter is fortunate to have tremendous support from our community for the lifesaving work we do every day. As the only open-admission animal shelter in the city of Seattle, many of the animals who come to us are sick, injured, neglected and in need of medical care and training while we work to prepare them for adoption into new, forever homes. Thanks to the Help the Animals Fund and grants from the Seattle Animal Shelter Foundation, we are able to do much more for these animals today than ever before.
Much of the work done by our animal care team takes place away from the front counter as they clean, feed, exercise and provide for the medical and behavioral needs and health of all the animals in our care. Working with our wonderful volunteers and foster parents, this dedicated team is working hard to provide care for the animals while also providing excellent customer service to our community and customers.
To continue to provide a high level of customer service and best care for our animals, we are making some changes to our public hours. Effective Nov. 15, we will be open from 1-6 p.m., Wednesday to Sunday. For owners who are claiming lost pets, we also will be open from 2-4 p.m. on Mondays and Tuesdays.
Also effective Nov. 15, our phone hours will shift to 9 a.m.-6 p.m., seven days a week.
As we care for the animals who come to us with so many needs, there are many ways you can help us save one life at a time.
- #TagToSaveLives. Remember to purchase a pet license for your dogs, cats, miniature goats and potbellied pigs, and spread the word about licensing. Pet license purchases directly support the lifesaving work we are doing every day.
- Adopt, don’t shop. When considering adding a furry, scaly or feathered companion to your family, adopt one of our amazing animals! In addition to dogs and cats, we have rabbits, guinea pigs, turtles and many other critters who are in need of new homes.
- Become a foster parent. We are always in need of lifesaving volunteers who are able to care for animals in their homes while they are on the road to recovery and waiting to be adopted.
- Donate. Your tax-deductible donations to the Help the Animals Fund and Seattle Animal Shelter Foundation enable us to help the animals most in need of love, compassion, care. You will help give them another chance at life.
The Seattle Animal Shelter is located at 2061 15th Ave. W. For more information, call 206-386-PETS (7387) or visit www.seattleanimalshelter.org.
We at the Seattle Animal Shelter would like to thank our customers for their patience and understanding while we temporarily suspended adoptions yesterday as a result of unexpected plumbing issues at our facility. The good news? We’ve resumed adoptions and can continue finding forever homes for our amazing animals. The bad news? We’re still dealing with those plumbing issues, but we’re working around them.
While we continue to work with maintenance crews to address the plumbing issues, we unfortunately need to limit the number of animals coming into the shelter. So what does this mean for you?
- Have you found a lost animal? If you’re a Seattle resident and you found a lost/stray animal, we encourage you to seek out the animal’s owner using our Lost and Found Database or find the lost animal’s home by matching licenses or microchips with assistance from shelter staff.
- Do you need to surrender an animal to us? Unfortunately, we’re not able to accept owner-surrendered animals at this time. Seattle residents wishing to surrender animals are asked to keep them until we are able to begin accepting surrenders by appointment.
We may be able to work with other local agencies to accept Seattle surrenders during this time. As we have more information, we’ll update it here, so please check back.
Information about the Seattle Animal Shelter is available online at http://www.seattleanimalshelter.org or by calling 206-386-PETS (7387).
Yikes, we’re experiencing plumbing issues today, and unfortunately this means we’ve had to close off some parts of our facility to the public. Don’t worry – the animals are okay! But what does this mean for you?
- No adoptions today. We’re sorry to report that adoptions are temporarily suspended. If there’s an animal you were interested in meeting, please feel free to learn more about the adoption process by visiting our website.
- Pet licensing is still available. Our lobby is still open, so if you’re a Seattle resident and need to license your dog or cat, come on in. Alternatively, you can license your pet online.
- Look for your lost pet. Is your pet lost? Although our kennels and animal rooms are closed to the public today, we know the urgency you feel when you’re looking for a lost pet. If you need to visit the shelter to determine if we have your lost pet, a staff member can still assist you.
We apologize for the inconvenience and are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible. We’ll update this post as we have more information, so please check back for updates!
The Seattle Animal Shelter is located at 2061 15th Ave. W., Seattle. For more information, call 206-386-PETS (7387) or visit us online at http://www.seattleanimalshelter.org.