Exploring the Energy Future: Keynote Speakers from Amazon and Microsoft to Headline West Coast Energy Management Congress

The Western region is at the forefront for developing clean energy strategies and energy efficiency programs and standards, to that end the Association of Energy Engineers (AEE) has teamed up with event host Puget Sound Energy (PSE) and sponsors Seattle City Light, Snohomish County PUD, Tacoma Power and the Northwest Energy Efficiency Council (NEEC) to present the 34th West Coast Energy Management Congress (EMC). The West Coast EMC is the premier energy conference and exposition held in the western U.S. detailing the latest policy and technological advances for the energy industry. EMC 2016 will be held May 25-26 2016 at the Washington State Convention Center in Seattle.

EMC keynote speakers will include a welcome from Jason Teller, Vice President Customer Solutions, Puget Sound Energy, Kara Hurst, Director, Worldwide Sustainability and Social Responsibility, Amazon discussing sustainability and Rob Bernard, Chief Environmental Strategist, Microsoft speaking on the future of big data and IoT. Delegates can also earn continuing education units (CEU) or professional development hours (PDH) towards renewal requirements for Professional Engineers’ license and AEE certification programs such as the Certified Energy Manager (CEM®), by attending sessions tracks on policy, trends and local initiatives, high performance and green buildings, trends in energy management and advanced technologies and renewable energy. View full conference details at www.energyevent.com/conference

Bringing the content from the conference full circle, the EMC expo provides attendees with an opportunity to view real-world energy management solutions with technologies on display ranging from lighting, metering, hvac, wind, solar, building automation and more. Co-presented by the U.S. EPA ENERGY STAR® the expo also features the Pacific Northwest Green Showcase highlighting leading providers of environmentally friendly, green energy efficiency related products and services. In addition, EMC will also feature a full line-up of professional training seminars focused on current topics such as water efficiency, energy auditing, building commissioning, power quality and renewable energy.  Additional special events at EMC include free exhibit hall workshops showcasing energy optimization and efficiency case studies, the Council on Women in Energy & the Environment (CWEEL) breakfast featuring speaker Kimberly Harris, President & CEO of Puget Sound Energy, and the AEE Pacific Northwest Chapter Luncheon with featured speaker Yoram Bauman, Founder & Co-Chair, Carbon Washington.

View full event details at the EMC website, www.energyevent.com and follow along @AEE #EMCexpo for live event updates.
For a FREE Expo Pass, click link for complimentary online registration, www.energyevent.com/FreeExpoPass

Dates:  May 25-26, 2016
Location:  Washington State Convention Center, Seattle, WA, Hall 4D, 4E, 4F

Website:  www.energyevent.com
Free Expo Pass:  www.energyevent.com/FreeExpoPass

About AEE: The Association of Energy Engineers (AEE), a professional association, is augmented by its strong membership base of over 17,500 professionals in 90 countries and its widely recognized energy certification program in the fields of energy engineering and energy management, renewable and alternative energy, power generation, energy services, sustainability, and all related areas. AEE’s network of 95 local chapters located throughout the U.S. and abroad meet regularly to discuss issues of regional importance.

Gas line rupture repaired in SODO

Puget Sound Energy crews plugged a major gas service line leak in SODO after it was ruptured this morning.

At 5:35 a.m. a 911 call came into dispatchers at the Fire Alarm Center reporting a major gas line break at 55 South Spokane Street. The first arriving company found a high-volume of gas leaking into the air. The break occurred just inches from a rolling door to a large industrial building. Firefighters evacuated the building. The exact cause of the leak is still under investigation.

Seattle Police officers shut down South Spokane Street from 1st Avenue South to East Marginal Way. Also the 1st Avenue South exit from the eastbound West Seattle Freeway was shut down as a precaution until the gas leak was plugged.

Burlington Northern train traffic was diverted from nearby tracks as a precaution.

As a precaution, firefighters extended a hose line to the gas leak location to be ready to extinguish any potential fires.

The Mobile Ventilation Unit, a large scale industrial sized fan, was brought in to clear out the natural gas from inside the building. The mobile unit can move 125,000 cubic-feet-per-minute (CFM).  By comparison, a personal fan can normally move under 1000 CFM.

About an hour and fifteen minutes after the gas leak was reported, PSE crews plugged the gas line.

At 7:25 a.m. after PSE crews plugged the gas line, the 1st Avenue Exit was re-opened and Burlington Northern resumed train operations.

Westbound S Spokane Street was reopened to traffic however eastbound lanes are closed to allow PSE crews room to repair the gas line.

CO Detector Helps Save the Lives of Ballard Couple and Their Pet

UPDATE: 5 p.m.  Seattle Police Investigators determined the cause of the CO Poisoning was accidental. The couple is recovering at Virginia Mason Medical Center. The couple’s dog was taken in by a neighbor.

March 26—Firefighters rescued a couple and a dog out of a Ballard townhome full of Carbon Monoxide this morning. 

Prior to the firefighter’s arrival, a PSE employee was called to a townhome located in the 800 block of NW 52nd Street to look into a CO Alarm sounding in Unit B of a two-unit complex.  While investigating the cause of the CO Alarm activating, the PSE employee discovered a car running in the closed garage of Unit A.

At 5:12 this morning dispatchers at the Fire Alarm Center received a 911 call from the PSE employee reporting the running car. When firefighters arrived they made forcible entry into the 3-story home. Inside Unit A, they found two semi-conscious patients who collapsed at the top of  the staircase . The patients demonstrated symptoms of CO poisoning.  Firefighters rescued the couple and their dog.  Once outside the home, the two patients began to regain consciousness. The dog did not show any visible symptoms of CO poisoning.

Medics evaluated the patients, a male and a female in their 30’s, and transported them to Virginia Mason Medical Center to be placed in the hyperbaric chamber.  The patients were conscious and stable at the time of the transport.

Fire crews measured the CO levels in Unit A and found the levels to be 1300 parts-per-million. Greater
than 35 ppm Exceeds acceptable levels for continued exposure.
  CO is an odorless colorless gas that can be deadly. It’s often times called the “Silent Killer”. According to the National Fire Protection Association a person can be poisoned by a small amount of CO over a longer period of time or by a large amount of CO over a shorter amount of time.

Firefighters used industrial fans to ventilate the townhome and to make the environment safe for the occupants to return to the units.

The family in the non-affected unit  had left prior to firefighters arrival to stay with relatives.

If your CO alarm sounds, get out immediately and call 911.

The Fire Department is thankful for the diligence and quick actions of the PSE employee.  The on-scene fire officer stated two occupants of the home would not have survived without the actions of the Puget Sound employee.

For more information on danger of Carbon Monoxide click on this link.

http://www.seattle.gov/fire/pubed/brochures/carbon%20monoxide.pdf