Capitol Hill Apartment Fire Caused by Overheated Electrical Wiring

July 1—Seattle Fire Investigators determined a fire at a Capitol Hill apartment complex was caused by overheated electrical wiring inside the wall. The fire is being classified as accidental.

At 9:39 p.m. dispatchers at the Fire Alarm Center received a 911 call from an occupant of an apartment in the 2300 block of 10th Avenue East. The caller reported smoke in the unit coming from behind the baseboards. The apartment complex was evacuated.

When firefighter arrived they found light smoke on floor 2 of the multi-story apartment building and a wall fire in apartment units on both the 2nd and 3rd floor. It took firefighter 20 minutes to dig the fire out of the wall and to have the fire under control.

Due to the fire damage, occupants were not allowed to reoccupy two units. Once air readings were safe, the rest of the occupants were allowed to reoccupy their apartments.

Firefighters remained on scene overnight to maintain fire coverage.

The fire investigator estimates $25,000 in damage.

There were no injuries.