Family Taken to Hospital For Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

January 1—Medics evaluated a family of three after high levels of Carbon Monoxide (CO) was discovered inside their home.

At 6:10 p.m. an occupant in the 5100 block of 41st St NE called 911 to report her husband and 10-year-old daughter were experiencing symptoms of CO poisoning. When firefighters arrived they found the mother and daughter outside the house but the husband was in the basement.  When firefighter brought the husband outside, his symptoms started to subside. Medics gave the patient oxygen. AMR transported all three patients in stable condition to University of Washington Hospital to be checked out.

Firefighters discovered the CO was coming from the basement furnace.  Crews secured the furnace and aired out the house until the air inside was safe to breathe.  The residents will be staying at relatives until the furnace can be repaired.

Carbon Monoxide is an odorless, colorless and tasteless gas. CO detectors are your best protection against CO poisoning.

For more CO safety tips click here.

CO safety tips