Many Seattle Parks and Recreation facilities will be closed Friday, July 4, for Independence Day or on special holiday schedules.
These facilities and services are CLOSED:
- Community centers
- Environmental learning centers
- Indoor swimming pools
- Amy Yee Tennis Center
- Green Lake Small Craft Center
These facilities are OPEN on regular schedules:
- Golf courses
- Boat ramps
- Wading pools (Bitter Lake, Cal Anderson, EC Hughes, Green Lake, Hiawatha, Lincoln Park, Magnuson Park, Van Asselt, Volunteer, Wallingford)
These facilities are OPEN on special schedules:
Seattle Parks and Recreation will turn on field lighting on synthetic ballfields throughout the city on the evenings of Thursday, July 3, and Friday, July 4, to protect the synthetic surfaces. The ballfield lights will be turned on at 8:45 p.m. and will be turned off at either 10 p.m. or 11 p.m., depending on the field.
The lights will be turned on to discourage the use of fireworks. Fireworks are illegal in the city of Seattle and will destroy the artificial turf on the fields. The approximate replacement cost for the synthetic surfacebased on per average full-size field (110,000 square feet) is $1.2 million. All the fields have been renovated in the past several years and benefit field users including players of soccer, football, baseball, Ultimate Frisbee and lacrosse.
The fields will be monitored by security from 9 p.m. to 4 a.m.
Lights at the following fields will be turned off at 11 p.m.:
- Bobby Morris at Cal Anderson Park, 1635 11th Ave
- Delridge Playfield, 4458 Delridge Way SW
- Garfield #1, E Cherry St & 23rd Ave
- Genesee Upper and Lower Playfield, 4316 S Genesee St.
- Georgetown Playfield, 750 S Homer St.
- Hiawatha Playfield, 2700 California Ave. SW
- Jefferson Playfield, 4165 16th Ave. S
- Lower Woodland Playfield #2 and #7, 5201 Green Lake Way North
- Walt Hundley Playfield, 6920 34th Avenue SW
- Washington Park Playfield, 2500 Lake Washington Blvd. E
Lights at the following fields will turned off at 10 p.m.:
- Loyal Heights Playfield, 2101 NW 77th St
- Magnuson #5 (Rugby), #6, #7, 7400 Sand Point Way N.E.
- Miller Playfield, 330 19th Ave. E
For more information please call Seattle Parks and Recreation Security Manager Marlan Teeters at 206-684-7088.
# # #
Date: Friday, July 4, 2014
Time: Noon – 11 p.m.
Location: Gas Works Park, 2101 N Northlake Way
Fesitval tickets: Purchase HERE
Where can I find information about the fireworks displays?
The best resource for information regarding the Seafair Summer Fourth firework display is Seafair.com. Please note that neither the City of Seattle, nor Seattle Parks and Recreation pays for the firework display.
Where can I view the public firework display?
The best views of the public firework display are from Gas Works Park and Lake Union Park.
Other recommended viewpoints:
Hamilton Viewpoint Park
If I attend the Seafair Summer Fourth event, what are the rules?
– No alcoholic beverages are permitted at the event unless they are purchased at the on-site beer garden
– No personal barbeques are permitted
– No marijuana is permitted
– No fireworks, explosives, incendiary materials or devices are permitted
– No pets other than service animals are permitted
– No weapons or firearms are permitted
– No tents or tent stakes are permitted
– No glass bottles are permitted
– No illegal drugs are permitted
– All bags are subject to search
What can I bring with me?
– Food and non-alcoholic beverages (coolers are subject to search)
What’s the best way to get there?
Give yourself plenty of time to get to the event. Public transportation is encouraged, but buses will be running on a reduced holiday schedule. Parking will be limited due to street closure. People with disabilities will get parking on a first-come, first-serve basis. Cyclists are welcome to use the express entrance, but there will be a limited number of bike racks inside the park.
Tips from Seattle Parks Crew Chiefs
– Slather on the sunscreen!
– Do not drink and drive!
– Parking enforcement will be out in full force, be careful to adhere to street signs and do not block driveways or park on private property (take public transit!)
– Pets are not allowed in the park during Seafair Summer Fourth – please leave them at home! A hot vehicle is no place for a pooch.