A Large Pot of Smoldering Food Brings Large Fire Response on Capitol Hill

January 6- A large pot of food brought large fire response to a Capitol Hill restaurant this morning.

At 12:47 a.m. several calls came into firefighter/dispatchers at the Fire Alarm Center reporting smoke coming from a building in the either 1500 block of Melrose Avenue. A full response was ordered and 15 fire apparatus and 40 firefighters were dispatched to the scene.  Firefighters arrived and found a merchant reporting a light haze inside his shop which was located in a block-long marketplace.

Firefighters discovered smoke inside a locked restaurant. A manager was called to open the secure  door. Inside firefighters found light smoke and a smoldering 5-gallon pot of food left on the stove.  The pot was removed from the stove. There was no evidence of fire just smoke from the smoldering food.

Electric fans were deployed to ventilate the restaurant.

First Hill Apartment Fire Caused by Unattended Food on the Stove

Photo Courtesy of Fire Buff John Odegard

 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        April 29 – Fire investigators determined a First Hill High Rise fire was accidental, caused by unattended food on the stove. The damage estimate was $20,000 to the structure and $3,000 to the contents.

At 9:24 p.m. dispatchers at the Fire Alarm Center received an automatic fire alarm coming from a high rise building located at 800 Jefferson Street. The alarm panel indicated the fire was in a 12th floor occupied apartment. When firefighters arrived on the floor, the hallway was filled with light white smoke. The resident of the fire unit had evacuated as well as several residents from the 12th floor. Other residents were told to shelter in place, essentially, stay inside their apartments.

Firefighters were able to knock down the stove fire quickly. The flames did extend to the kitchen cabinets and caused smoke damage to the apartment.

There were no injuries.