Firefighters Evacuate Home After Car Fire Threatens South Seattle Home

August 7—Seattle Firefighters extinguished a car fire that resulted in a fatality at Renton Avenue South and South Fountain Street. The car collided with a power pole causing a number of charged power lines to fall across the scene.

At 12:58 a.m. Seattle Firefighters were called to the scene for a report of a car fire with the possibility of a victim inside. When fire crews arrived, King County Fire District 20 engine was already on scene and pouring water on the car fire. Seattle crews continued to extinguish the flames. One victim appears to have been ejected from the burning car and was pronounced dead on the scene.

The flames from the car exposed 25 feet to a nearby home causing vinyl siding to melt off the house. Firefighters evacuated two residents out of the house.  The house did not suffer any fire damage.

Seattle City Light crews responded and de-energized the power lines allowing fire crews to access the deceased victim.

The Seattle Police Department is investigating the accident.

 

Seattle Firefighters respond to six full-response fires in approximately 6 hour period

Thursday July 30th was a busy day for Seattle Firefighters.  Beginning shortly after 1 p.m. fire crews were dispatched to six full-response fires. Each full-response involves:

Deputy Chief
2 Battalion Chiefs
Safety Chief
Staffing Office
4 Fire Engines
2 Ladder Trucks
Aid Car
Medic unit
Air Unit

Phinney Ridge  Fire

Photo Courtesy Mike Heaton

Photo Courtesy Mike Heaton

Photo Courtesy Mike Heaton

 

 

The first fire came in at 1:05 p.m. to a home located in the 100 block of NW 83rd Street.  The occupant was home with his dog when workers laying insulation in the attic noticed smoke and everyone evacuated the home.  When firefighters arrived they found smoke pouring from both sides of the 2-story home.  The firefighters entering the home experienced high heat.  Crews fought the fire from both the interior and exterior while ladder companies cut holes in the roof to vent the charged smoke from the structure. It took 40 minutes to completely extinguish the flames.

The cause was accidental, mechanical damage of electrical wiring system during the installation of insulation.  The damage estimate is $70,000. There were no injuries.

The Red Cross was called to provide assistance to one adult male, one adult female and one child.

Due to temperatures reaching 90 degrees, misting fans were deployed in the firefighter rehabilitation area to cool fire crews off.

Boat Fire

At 1:30 firefighters were called to the 7300 block of 4th Avenue South to a 75 foot tug boat with a fire in the bow. Workers welding below deck ignited insulation in the boat. It took crews about 30 minutes to control the fire.

There were no injuries.

Capitol Hill Fire

At 4:15 p.m. firefighters were called to an apartment complex in the 1800 block of Broadway East. When crews arrive they found everyone had evacuated the 3-story apartment complex. Crews were able to extinguish an exterior deck fire on the second floor. The flames extended to an adjacent wall but did not make their way into the building. The cause of the fire was combustible oil left on the deck which ignited.

There were no injuries.

 

Central District Fire

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

At 4:40 p.m. multiple 911 calls came into Firefighter /Dispatchers at the Fire Alarm Center reporting flames and smoke coming from a 2-story apartment building with basement in the 5090 block of 27th Avenue in the Central District. When firefighters arrived, they found a wall of flames coming from the front of the complex. Several residents had to evacuate the complex and run through flames coming from the front porch. Several animals were trapped inside the burning structure.

The incident commander called for a second alarm bringing in nearly 80 firefighters to the scene. The extra resources were needed to rotate crews in and out of the burning building due to the hot weather.

Firefighters were able to save a Chihuahua and two cats. A third cat was missing.  Fire crews found the dog and one cat in a first floor apartment. The fire investigator found the second cat hiding in the basement laundry room.  Medics evaluated and treated the pets for smoke inhalation. The pets were transported to a nearby pet hospital to be checked out by veterinarians.

It took 20 minutes for fire crews to control the flames.

A fire investigator determined the cause to be accidental, the result of improperly discarded smoking materials placed in a plastic pot on the front porch of the home. The damage estimate is $255,000.

There were no injuries.

University District Fire

Photo courtesy of John Odegard

Photo courtesy of John Odegard

 

At 6:12 p.m. firefighters were dispatched to the 5200 block of 11th Avenue NE for a back porch fire that was extending into a house. When firefighters arrived they found an enclosed back porch full involved with flames extending to their home, to their neighbor’s shed and exposing to a townhome to the south. The fire extended into the attic of the home.

All of the occupants safely evacuated.

It took fire crews 25 minutes to control the flames and 35 minutes to completely extinguish the fire.

The fire investigator determined the cause was accidental, the result of improperly discarded smoking materials in a planter pot on a wooden deck. The damage estimate is $70,000.

There were no injuries.

 Ravenna Fire

Photo courtesy of John Odegard

 

At 7:13 p.m. firefighters were dispatched to the 6500 block of Ravenna Avenue NE for reporting of black smoke coming from the roof of a 2-story building. Firefighters extinguished the flames within two minutes of arriving on scene.

There were no injuries.

The fire was caused by roofers spilling a heated bucket of tar.

West Seattle Home Fire Caused by Improperly Discarded Smoking Materials

July 20-At 1:22 a.m., neighbors called 911 to report smoke coming from the basement of a home located in the 4400 block of SW Graham Street. Neighbors attempted to knock on the door to wake up the occupants of the home.

When firefighters arrived to find flames visible from the crawl space of the home The two occupants were able to safely evacuate the home. The flames were on the exterior and extended to the siding of the home. Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire within 20 minutes.

Fire investigators determined the cause to be accidental, caused by improperly discarded smoking materials ignited a wooden planter of the front porch. The fire spread to exterior siding and crawlspace. The damage estimate is $50,000.

There were no injuries.  The adult male and female declined the Red Cross assistance and found their own temporary housing.

Fremont Daycare Damaged by Morning Fire

July 10–Seattle Fire Investigators determined an early morning fire at a Fremont daycare center was accidental most likely caused by improperly discarded smoking materials on the back deck.

At 5:24 a.m. firefighters responded to the 3600 block of Fremont Avenue North for a fire on  the back porch of a daycare center and home. Firefighter arrived to find flames shooting from the back deck and exposing to the side of the home and extending to a back garage that was converted into a living space. Within five minutes firefighters knocked down the flames,

All of the occupants of the home safely evacuated. The Red Cross was called to provide temporary shelter for the displaced family including an adult male and female, a teenage girl and two cats.

The fire also damaged the electrical lines from the house to the garage.

The damage estimate is 30 thousand dollars to the structure and 10 thousand dollars to the contents.

 

 

 

 

Two Alarm Fire Damages Two Beacon Hill Homes

Courtesy: Fire Buff John Odegard

July 2—A two-alarm fire at two Beacon Hill homes is still under investigation.

On Wednesday July 1 at 9 p.m., multiple 911 calls poured into the Fire Alarm Center reporting a loud explosion and fire at a home locate in the 3500 block of S Portland Street.

While responding, Engine Company 33 saw a large column of black smoke rising from the fire scene. The firefighters arrived to find flames shooting from a two-story home. Flames extended from the home of origin to the nearby trees and then to a home to the west. Firefighters called for a two-alarm fire doubling the resources to help battle two homes on fire.

Two adult males safely evacuated the home of origin. One occupant attempted to extinguish the fire with a garden hose but the fire was too intense. Firefighters conducted a search and rescue operation of both homes but did not find anyone inside.

Power lines were down causing an electrical safety hazard for the firefighters. Seattle City Light arrived and turned off power to both homes.

At the height of the fire there were 72 firefighters and 31 fire apparatus on scene.

It took firefighters 15 minutes to knock down the fire in both homes.  Within 35 minutes the fire was under control.  It was an hour and 15 minutes before the flames were completely extinguished.

Investigators determined the cause of the explosions were three propane tanks that caught fire and exploded.

The damage to the primary structure was $150,000 to the structure and $50,000 to the contents. The exposure damage to the home to the west was assessed at $75000 to the structure.

Red Cross was called to assist two adult males  with temporary housing after they were displaced by the fire.

There were no injuries.