3 Opportunities to be Part of the Seattle Fire Code Advisory Board

Because of its importance for residents and businesses, the Seattle Fire Code is updated by the Seattle Fire Department in cooperation with a volunteer advisory board that represents the interests of the public, organized labor, and local business, industry, and technical trades. We are seeking three board members for the Seattle Fire Code Advisory Board to represent:

-Major institutions (including hospitals and universities)
-Manufacturing/warehousing,
-The services industry (including nightclubs, entertainment and retail)

Board members play a crucial role in establishing the fire code for Seattle. The Seattle Fire Code helps prevent fires and assure the safety of people who live, work and visit in Seattle.

If you are interested in applying for this rewarding professional role, please send your resume and a cover letter indicating why you would like to join the Board and which position you are applying for, by March 20, 2015, to Karen Grove in the Seattle Fire Marshal’s Office.

Email:           Karen.Grove@seattle.gov

Address:       Karen Grove

Seattle Fire Department Fire Prevention Division

220 Third Avenue South

Seattle, WA 98104

For more information you can click on this link:

http://www.seattle.gov/fire/FMO/firecode/fcab.htm

 

Fire Code Advisory Board c/o Seattle Fire Department, Fire Marshal’s Office 220 Third Avenue South, Seattle, WA 98104 Attn: Karen Grove Email: karen.grove@seattle.gov

Phone: 206-386-1451 Fax: 206-386-1359

 

Family Taken to Hospital For Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

January 1—Medics evaluated a family of three after high levels of Carbon Monoxide (CO) was discovered inside their home.

At 6:10 p.m. an occupant in the 5100 block of 41st St NE called 911 to report her husband and 10-year-old daughter were experiencing symptoms of CO poisoning. When firefighters arrived they found the mother and daughter outside the house but the husband was in the basement.  When firefighter brought the husband outside, his symptoms started to subside. Medics gave the patient oxygen. AMR transported all three patients in stable condition to University of Washington Hospital to be checked out.

Firefighters discovered the CO was coming from the basement furnace.  Crews secured the furnace and aired out the house until the air inside was safe to breathe.  The residents will be staying at relatives until the furnace can be repaired.

Carbon Monoxide is an odorless, colorless and tasteless gas. CO detectors are your best protection against CO poisoning.

For more CO safety tips click here.

CO safety tips

 

Flamesless Candles are a Safe Alternative

 

 

According to the U.S. Fire Administration, more than half (56 percent) of home candle fires occur when something that can catch on fire is too close to the candle.

Consider using battery-operated flameless candles, which can look, smell and feel like real candles.

If you use candles:

Extinguish all candles when leaving a room or before going to sleep.
Put candles in sturdy metal, glass, or ceramic holders.
Place lighted candles where they won’t be knocked over by children, pets or anyone else.
Keep burning candles away from items that can catch on fire such as furniture, drapes, bedding, carpets, books, paper, etc.
For holiday fire safety information, visit the Seattle Fire Department’s Holiday Fire Safety site at:

http://www.seattle.gov/fire/pubEd/holiday/default.htm

 

 

Have a Happy and Safe Thanksgiving!

 

The Seattle Fire Department reminds residents to be mindful of fire safety during this holiday season. Thanksgiving is the leading day for home cooking-related fires.  Other holiday-related home fires involve heating and electrical sources.

Here are a few safety tips to make your Thanksgiving safer:

  • Keep an adult by the stove while cooking your favorite dishes!
  • Involve children in preparing foods that are not hot, and at least 3 feet from a hot stove.
  • Check on food regularly while cooking – unattended cooking is the number one cause of home fires
  • Unplug kitchen electrical items which have a heating element such as coffee pots, rice cookers and toasters, when not in use.
  • Extinguish candles before leaving the room and before going to bed.  Better yet, use flameless candles.
  • Give your heaters space! Keep flammable items 1 foot from baseboard heaters and 3 feet from portable space heaters.
  • If a fire starts on the stove top, cover it with a lid or metal cookie sheet and turn the stove off. Do not throw water on a grease fire.

Using a turkey fryer?  Get some safety tips from the National Fire Protection Association.

For additional Thanksgiving safety information visit the National Fire Protection Association or contact Public Education at fireinfo@seattle.gov.

 

Change your Clock/Change your Battery


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Come visit the Seattle Firefighters as they team up with Energizer for a Change your Clock/Change your Battery event at the Bartell’s Drug Store at 100 N 85th Street on Saturday November 1, 2014 from Noon to 3 p.m.

As the end of Daylight Saving Time approaches on Sunday, November 1, the Seattle Fire Department wants to remind residents to change their smoke alarm and carbon monoxide (CO) detector batteries when they change their clocks. Lithium long-life batteries do not need to be changed yearly. Changing smoke alarm and CO detector batteries at least once a year is one of the easiest and most effective ways to reduce home fire deaths and CO poisoning. In fact, working smoke alarms can cut the risk of dying in a home fire nearly in half by providing an early warning and critical extra seconds to escape.

Every home in Seattle should have the protection of smoke alarms. The Seattle Fire Department can install smoke alarms and batteries free of charge in homes where the homeowner is either a senior citizen, living on a low income, or has a disability. If you live outside the city of Seattle, please contact your local Fire Department to request assistance.

For more information call 206-386-1337 or email fireinfo@seattle.gov  or visit www.seattle.gov/fire