University District Fire Caused by Unattended Candles

April 22- Seattle Fire Investigators determined a basement bedroom fire was accidental caused by unattended candles in a basement bedroom. The damage estimate is $50,000 to the structure and $15,000 to the contents.

At 11:18 a.m. multiple people called the Fire Alarm Center to report a large column of black smoke coming from the 2-story home with a basement located in the 5500 block of 16th Avenue NE. Engine Company 17 arrived to find 5 people who safely evacuated the home. A search and rescue operation was conducted and no other occupants were found in the house.

It took firefighters approximately 20 minutes from dispatch to completely extinguish the flames. The fire damage was limited to the basement fire unit and surround alcove area. However, the rest of the structure suffered smoke damage.  One deceased cat was found in a second story bedroom.

Medics evaluated 2 patients for minor smoke inhalation but no further treatment was needed.

The Red Cross was called to assist residents with temporary housing. The owner said a total of 7 people live in the home.