Two Alarm West Seattle Apartment Fire Injures 2 Firefighters

A Seattle Fire Investigator determined a West Seattle two-alarm apartment fire was accidental caused by combustibles placed too close to an electrical baseboard heater.

On Saturday November 29th, dispatchers at the Fire Alarm Center received a 911 call reporting an alarm going off inside a 4-story apartment building located in the 3800 block of Beach Drive SW. A second caller reported smelling smoke inside the building. All of the residents safely evacuated the complex.

Engine Company 29 arrived first to find flames shooting from a ground floor unit. Firefighter took an aggressive attack to knock down the fire.  One of the major challenges was the high winds which were driving the flames inside the building. The Incident Commander called for a two-alarm to bring in additional resources to help battle the apartment complex fire.

Two members on the hose line for Engine Company 29 suffered minor burns while fighting the fire. Both were treated and released from Harborview Medical Center for their injuries.

It took nearly 45 minutes to extinguish the flames. Crew limited the fire damage to the original fire unit. Other bottom level units suffered smoke damage.

Residents were temporarily housed in a Metro Bus to keep them warm while firefighters battled the flames. After air monitoring levels came back clear, the residents were allowed back into their building.

Two adult females and a dog were displaced by the fire. American Red Cross provided temporary shelter for the displaced occupants.

The damage estimate is $150,000 to the structure and $30,000 to the contents.

For more information on Apartment Fire Safety you can click on this link: http://www.seattle.gov/fire/pubEd/brochures/apartment.pdf