Pet Lizard Saved From Burning North Seattle Home

Photo Courtesy Fire Buff John Odegard

Photo Courtesy Fire Buff John Odegard

January 13—Fire Investigators determined an early morning house fire in North Seattle was an accidental fire caused by combustibles left too close to heating equipment. The damage estimate is $250,000.

At 1:31 a.m. multiple 911 calls reporting flames coming from the basement of a one-story home with basement located in the 9100 block of Corliss Avenue North. The first arriving engine company found heavy smoke pouring from the basement and smoke coming from the top floor of the house. The arriving firefighters also witnessed the four occupants safely evacuating the burning structure.

Firefighters conducted a search and rescue operation and saved a pet lizard from a burned up terrarium. Within 5 minutes of first pouring water on the fire, crew had the fire under control. Fans were used to remove the smoke from the house.

The displaced occupants declined Red Cross assistance for temporary housing.

Fire engine crews remained on firewatch through the morning to ensure the extensive fire debris did not rekindle.

For more information about heater safety click here.