Family Taken to Hospital For Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

January 1—Medics evaluated a family of three after high levels of Carbon Monoxide (CO) was discovered inside their home.

At 6:10 p.m. an occupant in the 5100 block of 41st St NE called 911 to report her husband and 10-year-old daughter were experiencing symptoms of CO poisoning. When firefighters arrived they found the mother and daughter outside the house but the husband was in the basement.  When firefighter brought the husband outside, his symptoms started to subside. Medics gave the patient oxygen. AMR transported all three patients in stable condition to University of Washington Hospital to be checked out.

Firefighters discovered the CO was coming from the basement furnace.  Crews secured the furnace and aired out the house until the air inside was safe to breathe.  The residents will be staying at relatives until the furnace can be repaired.

Carbon Monoxide is an odorless, colorless and tasteless gas. CO detectors are your best protection against CO poisoning.

For more CO safety tips click here.

CO safety tips

 

CO Detector Helps Save the Lives of Ballard Couple and Their Pet

UPDATE: 5 p.m.  Seattle Police Investigators determined the cause of the CO Poisoning was accidental. The couple is recovering at Virginia Mason Medical Center. The couple’s dog was taken in by a neighbor.

March 26—Firefighters rescued a couple and a dog out of a Ballard townhome full of Carbon Monoxide this morning. 

Prior to the firefighter’s arrival, a PSE employee was called to a townhome located in the 800 block of NW 52nd Street to look into a CO Alarm sounding in Unit B of a two-unit complex.  While investigating the cause of the CO Alarm activating, the PSE employee discovered a car running in the closed garage of Unit A.

At 5:12 this morning dispatchers at the Fire Alarm Center received a 911 call from the PSE employee reporting the running car. When firefighters arrived they made forcible entry into the 3-story home. Inside Unit A, they found two semi-conscious patients who collapsed at the top of  the staircase . The patients demonstrated symptoms of CO poisoning.  Firefighters rescued the couple and their dog.  Once outside the home, the two patients began to regain consciousness. The dog did not show any visible symptoms of CO poisoning.

Medics evaluated the patients, a male and a female in their 30’s, and transported them to Virginia Mason Medical Center to be placed in the hyperbaric chamber.  The patients were conscious and stable at the time of the transport.

Fire crews measured the CO levels in Unit A and found the levels to be 1300 parts-per-million. Greater
than 35 ppm Exceeds acceptable levels for continued exposure.
  CO is an odorless colorless gas that can be deadly. It’s often times called the “Silent Killer”. According to the National Fire Protection Association a person can be poisoned by a small amount of CO over a longer period of time or by a large amount of CO over a shorter amount of time.

Firefighters used industrial fans to ventilate the townhome and to make the environment safe for the occupants to return to the units.

The family in the non-affected unit  had left prior to firefighters arrival to stay with relatives.

If your CO alarm sounds, get out immediately and call 911.

The Fire Department is thankful for the diligence and quick actions of the PSE employee.  The on-scene fire officer stated two occupants of the home would not have survived without the actions of the Puget Sound employee.

For more information on danger of Carbon Monoxide click on this link.

http://www.seattle.gov/fire/pubed/brochures/carbon%20monoxide.pdf