Approximately 10 minutes after 10 p.m. February 15, 2018, a neighbor noticed a fire behind a house near the 5200 block of 36 Ave SW and called 911. Firefighters arrived on scene to find a large column of fire behind the house which was quickly spreading to the neighboring house. With two houses impacted by fire and power lines already on the ground, a second alarm was initiated which doubles the amount of resources responding.
Firefighters were able to quickly confirm that all the occupants were safely out of both houses and concentrated their efforts on extinguishing the fire. It took approximately 20 minutes to get the fire under control and another 30 minutes to confirm complete extinguishment. With the aggressive attack, the extra resources were not needed.
Fire damage to the original house was too substantial to reoccupy. The neighboring house’s damage was limited to the exterior but due to air quality inside, the occupants were rehoused temporarily.
Fire investigators determined that discarded smoking materials on the back porch started the fire. The cumulative loss to both houses is estimated to be $300,000.
Late Sunday night, a helpful neighbor saw smoke coming from the house across the street on 18th Avenue SW. Knowing that one of the occupants was an elderly woman with mobility issues, he quickly ran into the house to assist her. He carried her in his arms to safety. The other five residents were able to exit quickly on their own.
There were no injuries from this 2-alarm house fire that caused $300,000 damage. The fire started when a lamp tipped over onto a pile of clothes in a room off of the garage. A resident used two fire extinguishers to fight the visible flames. When the fire appeared to be extinguished, he left the room. A short time later he returned to find a fully involved room fire. He and his roommates attempted again to put water on the fire but it grew too fast. Once they realized that they couldn’t conquer the rapidly growing fire, they called 9-1-1 and exited the building.
Having a fire extinguisher in an accessible location can help keep your home fire safe. The most important step is to immediately call 9-1-1 at the first sign of a fire. Once you know that help is on the way, you can then decide if the fire is small enough to utilize your fire extinguisher. Make sure to keep your exit behind you at all times. If you are unable to extinguish the fire, close the door and get out. Never put yourself or others at risk. For additional home fire safety resources, visit the fact sheets on fire evacuation planning and fire extinguishers.
Over the last 10 years multiple agencies have come together to coordinate funds, training and equipment in order to better serve our diverse geographic area. This successful partnership was demonstrated today at the Port of Seattle Terminal 5 where law enforcement helicopters from different agencies worked together with Seattle Firefighters to perfect their response team work. Together they practiced hoisting and moving loads of valuable lifesaving equipment, set up important communication systems critical for cross jurisdictional operability and formulated a cohesive command structure. Not only were these skills used in OSO, but they will benefit any emergency such as an earthquake, large vessel incident or high-rise fire.
Aviation resources are very limited in Western Washington therefore coordination between agencies is vital to help prepare us for future events. Click here to read more about NWRA
Nov. 2. 2015- The early morning 3-alarm marina fire located at 2421 Westlake Avenue North has been determined accidental. An unattended candle started the fire aboard a 40- foot boat moored under a covered section of the marina. The fire quickly spread to neighboring boats and to the structure above that housed a law firm. Firefighters worked for about 40 minutes before they were able to extinguish the main body of fire. A total of 11 boats were damaged including six boats that are currently underwater. Five people who lived at the marina were taken to shore by rescue boats. There were no injuries in this rapid moving fire.
Firefighters were dispatched at 1:05 am and arrived to find a large column of fire. A multiple alarm was quickly called to bring in more firefighting resources. Approximately 80 firefighters including the SFD Marine and Dive teams and Seattle Police Harbor Patrol worked together to contain the fire to one dock.
Firefighters are currently assisting the Coast Guard and the Department of Ecology on scene. The priority is to focus on environmental issues associated with the contaminants in the water. The cleanup process could take up to several days.
The Seattle Fire Department will be training brand new firefighters at a vacant home in the Rainier Beach neighborhood.
Starting Tuesday October 27 and continuing until Friday October 30, 2015, training officers and fire recruits will be practicing firefighting skills at a home located at 9680 51 Ave. South. During these dates, residents will notice an increase in the number of fire apparatus parked on the street.
The live fire training is an opportunity for the recruits to face real fire scenarios in a controlled setting. This essential experience prepares the newest members of the Department for the risks and challenges of fighting a home fire. The skills they learn will benefit the citizens of Seattle by better preparing the members in fundamental life and property protection skills.
Residents should prepare to see smoke at times as controlled burns are set at the vacant structure. All carpet, plastics and toxic synthetic materials have been removed from the home prior to the burns. Also, asbestos abatement has been completed. The training officers will be setting wood fires in a controlled fashion with safety officers on hand during the exercises. This training is being conducted under the strict regulations and rules of the Puget Sound Clean Air Agency.
Neighbors are welcome to come and watch the live training. Typical training days begin around 7:00 am with the live fire training starting at 9 a.m. and will last until approximately 5 p.m.