The Only in Seattle Initiative provides grant funding and staff support to foster inclusive neighborhood business districts that allow small businesses to thrive. The Initiative focuses on supporting businesses and property owners to organize around a common vision for their district and attract investment. Participating districts start by developing a strategic vision, creating an action plan, and determining clear outcomes and leads, and getting to work. From new crosswalks, murals, and lighting improvements to business coaching, community festivals, and litter cleanup, Seattle’s business districts have used Only in Seattle resources to develop a vision and put their vision into action. Learn more about the Only in Seattle Initiative
Only in Seattle Grant Application
The Only in Seattle Initiative is a partnership between OED, the Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT), and the Seattle Department of Neighborhoods (DON). Approximately $1,400,000 is available (contingent upon federal and City funding allocations) for district grants and services that accomplish goals in at least one of the five strategy areas:
- Organization – Neighborhood organizations, residents, property owners, and business owners collaborate and work together toward a common vision for the business district.
- Marketing & Promotion – District has a positive, consistent image that helps draw more customers to visit.
- Business and Retail Development – Businesses prosper because they are organized, supported by the community, and they receive the assistance they need to strengthen and grow their business. New businesses move into the district that complement and improve the business mix.
- Placemaking – The physical environment of a commercial node is attractive, inviting and easily accessible by multiple modes of transportation. Real estate development involves community input and vision, and redevelopment helps to rehabilitate or replace vacant or underutilized spaces. Projects in this category generate a sense of forward momentum and improvement in the district.
- Clean & Safe – The district is clean and customers, employees, and visitors feel safe and welcome.
PUBLIC INFORMATION SESSION — Friday, 10/13 at 2 pm in the Douglass Truth Library
Attend the upcoming public information session hosted by the Only in Seattle team to learn more about the 2018 application. OIS staff will be on hand to present a general overview of the program and details about this year’s application, as well as answer any questions. In addition, your fellow business district managers will share past examples of successful grant applications and projects. The event will be held at the Douglass Truth Library in the Central Area at 2 pm. Register today!
- September 30, 2017, 9:00 am: Request for Applications released
- October 30, 2017: 9:00 am: Application deadline
- November 8, 9, 13, 2017: Presentations to Only in Seattle Review Committee. To select preferred dates/times for your district to present, please visit our Doodle Poll.
- December 2017: Notification of funding decisions
STAFF SUPPORT AND OFFICE HOURS
Only in Seattle Initiative application support is available. Staff will be holding time for one-on-one appointments in the month of October. Please contact us as far in advance of the application deadline as possible.
OIS staff can provide support in any of the following areas of the application:
- Review completed or partially completed applications
- Assist with setup and submittal of application through online grant platform, GoGrants
- Share Only in Seattle Initiative program overview and details of each tier
- Provide example applications
- Review frequently asked questions
OIS staff cannot write or submit your application.
Theresa, Heidi and Mikel will have office hours dedicated to working with you on any questions or concerns you might have. Please reach out to schedule an appointment.
Applications are due on Monday, October 30, 2017 at 9:00 a.m. PST via the online grant system. Late applications and paper copies will not be accepted.