Most young children love looking out a window, but did you know that properly installed window stops can keep your child from an unintentional window fall? Window locks set to limit window openings to less than 4 inches and easily removed in the event of an emergency can go a long way towards keeping your child from a serious injury. Most hardware stores provide inexpensive window lock options. Remember that window screens are not strong enough to keep a child inside. To learn more, click here.
Fireworks on July 4th, at Gasworks Park
This 4th of July, the Seattle Fire Department recommends attending one of the many public fireworks displays near you to celebrate the holiday.
Why? Last year, there were 262 fireworks injuries, up 11 percent from the previous 10-year average in the state of Washington.
In Seattle, one of those injuries was a 15-year old teenager who experienced pain and swelling of her tongue and lips and a broken tooth from a ground bloom flower consumer firework when it hit her in the face. Most fireworks injuries involve even more serious consequences, including loss of fingers or hands or head injuries that require hospitalization.
Nationally, over a third of people hospitalized for fireworks in 2017 were under the age of 15, with sparklers accounting for roughly one-quarter of emergency room fireworks injuries. (NFPA statistics) Did you know the tip of a sparkler burns at 1200 degrees Fahrenheit, hot enough to cause third degree burns?
In addition to fireworks injuries, your Seattle firefighters responded to 68 fireworks related incidents last year, from July 3rd to July 5th resulting in 55 fires.
Please be safe and legal this 4th by not using consumer fireworks! We are sincere that we do not want to see you, your child or friend in the emergency room this holiday.
Did you know that most clothes dryer fires are caused from a failure to clean them? Given two recent dryer fires in Seattle, consider the proper installation and maintenance of your dryer.
Here are a few dryer safety tips:
- Have a professional install and service your dryer.
- Make sure the right plug and outlet are used.
- Clean the lint filter before and after each load of laundry.
- Check the exhaust pipe once a year for buildup of lint that can restrict the flow of hot air.
- Turn the dryer off before you leave home or go to bed.
- Do not overload your dryer
For more information, visit http://www.nfpa.org/public-education/by-topic/safety-in-the-home/dryers-and-washing-machines/dryer-safety-tips
Cooking-related fires are the number one cause of home fires. A lid, used properly, can suffocate a pan fire on top of the stove, preventing a serious kitchen fire.
Better yet, review the following safety tips to prevent a cooking fire at your home!
- Do not leave cooking unattended on the stove. A serious fire can start in just seconds.
- Keep the stove and oven clean. Butter, oil and other greasy foods left on the stove can catch fire.
- Use a timer when cooking to prevent overcooking or burning food.
- Keep children and pets away from the stove while cooking.
- Keep items that can catch fire, such as dishtowels, paper or plastic bags, at least three feet away from the range top.
- Never use the stove or oven to heat your home. Double-check the kitchen before you go to bed or leave the house.
If a fire starts in a pan, turn off the stove and carefully cover the pan with a lid, cookie sheet or another pan. Do not move it until it is cool.
A decorated holiday tree is the source for approximately 210 home fires each year in the US, according to the National Fire Protection Association. Electrical problems are the cause of one third of those tree fires.
Consider these safety tips as you decorate this season!
How to handle those holiday lights!
- Avoid overloading electrical outlets for both indoor and outdoor lights.
- Limit connecting of holiday lights to 3 strands.
- Do not use frayed, broken or worn string lights.
- Use low wattage cheerful little mini lights at 2.5-watts or energy efficient LED bulbs, which operate at a cool-to-the-touch temperature.
- Always unplug tree lights before leaving home or going to sleep.
Caring for your holiday tree
- Choose a tree with fresh, green needles that do not fall off when touched.
- Keep your tree at least three feet from heat sources, such as fireplaces, radiators, candles, heat vents or lights.
- Add water to the tree stand daily.
- Dispose of the tree when it becomes dry. A dry tree should be placed outside, away from all flammable structures for pick up.
For more safety tips, click here! http://www.nfpa.org/winterholidaysafety