Fraternity Fire Ruled Accidental

Fire investigators have determined the house fire at the University of Washington Phi Chi Fraternity was accidental. The fire was caused by a malfunction in the electrical system in the basement of the home.

On May 2, 2016, fire dispatchers received a call at 4 a.m. reporting smoke in the two-story home with basement. The first arriving engine company, Engine 34, saw smoke coming from the front door of the building. The home’s 10 occupants and two dogs, were in the front yard when firefighters arrived. Initially, the occupants were unsure of the number of people inside the home. Firefighters conducted two searches and were able to determine everyone was safely out of the building. The fire was located in the basement laundry room. Once the fire was extinguished, firefighters remained at the scene to maintain a fire watch until 12 p.m. There were no injuries.

The damaged building and contents is estimated at 300,000 dollars.

Media Advisory: Seattle Fire Deputy Chief of Training to Speak on Recruit Live Fire Training

Contact:           Corey Orvold PIO, 206-250-1892

Media Availability

SEATTLE – The Deputy Chief of Training for the Seattle Fire Department will be available to speak to the media about the live fire training for Recruit Class #104, at 5002 Southwest Hudson Street in West Seattle.

WHO:             Seattle Fire Department Deputy Chief of Training, Mark Larsen

WHEN:           Thursday, April 28, 2016, at 12:30 p.m.

WHERE:          Please meet PIO Corey Orvold at the southwest corner of 50 Avenue Southwest and Southwest Hudson Street.

 

Palatine House Fire Ruled Accidental

Fire investigators determined the house fire on the 6500 block of Palatine Avenue North on April 20, 2016, was accidental. The fire was caused by overheated electrical wiring in the kitchen of the home.

At 6:19 p.m., fire dispatchers received multiple calls of a fire inside the home. Engine 21, arrived to find heavy black smoke coming from the first floor of the two-story home with a basement. Firefighters immediately applied water on the fire and were able to knock the fire down from the sidewalk in front of the house. However, the fire was fought defensively due to the excess accumulation of materials inside the home. At 6:50 p.m., the Incident Commander determined it was safe for firefighters to enter the building and transitioned to an offensive approach. From inside the building, firefighters continued to fight the blaze that had extended to the second floor of the home. The fire was extinguished at 7:28 p.m. There were no injuries and the sole occupant of the home was on the sidewalk when firefighters arrived.

The total damage to the building and contents is estimated at 300,000 dollars.

House Fire Ruled Accidental

Fire investigators have determined improperly discarded smoking material is to blame for the house fire at Fremont Avenue North and North 115th Street on April 19, 2016. The fire originated on the back deck of the home and then extended to the interior of the home. The cause of the fire has been ruled accidental.  

At 7:32 p.m., firefighters responded to multiple reports of a fire at the single family residence. The first firefighters to arrive, Ladder 5 and Engine 31, saw smoke coming from the back of the home. The occupant of the home reported that two dogs were inside the house. Firefighters were able to safely locate and rescue the dogs. One of the dogs was treated with oxygen at the scene and both dogs were transported by car to a veterinary clinic. The occupant of the home, a female patient, was driven in a private vehicle to Northwest Hospital with minor injuries. The rear deck, kitchen and laundry area all sustained extensive damage.

Investigators estimate the damage to the structure and the content of the home at 65,000 dollars. 

 

NewHolly Fire Ruled Accidental

Seattle Fire investigators have determined the fire at 30th Avenue South and South Willow Street on April 18, 2016, was accidental. The fire was caused by improperly discarded smoking material which ignited nearby combustible material.

Just  after 7 p.m., firefighters responded to multiple reports of a fire in a two-story single family residence in the NewHolly development. The first responding fire engine, Engine 28, reported heavy black smoke on the radio as they approached the neighborhood. Firefighters could see the fire on the top and bottom floor as they approached the residence. The fire had spread to a vehicle parked in the driveway next to the home and had damaged the exterior of the two neighboring homes. There were no injuries and the Red Cross was able to assist the family of five with their needs after the fire.

The damage to the building and contents of the home is estimated at 327,000 dollars.