National Electrical Safety Month: Electric Shock Drowning

Faulty wiring in and around your home can have dangerous consequences. When it comes into contact with water, it can become deadly. According to the Electrical Safety Foundation International (EFSI), Electric Shock Drowning occurs when faulty wiring sends an electric current into the water. If someone is in the water, like inside a swimming pool, the current passes through the body, causing paralysis which could lead to drowning.

Here are a few tips on how to avoid electric shock drowning:

  • Locate and label all power switches to the pool, hot tub, spa equipment & lighting
  • Keep pools, hot tubs & spas 25 feet away from power lines
  • Hire a qualified electrician for wiring and repair work as well as annual inspections
  • Install Ground Fault Circuit Interpreters (commonly known as GFCI switches) on receptacles within 20 feet of water’s edge

EFSI recommends that if you see someone affected by Electric Shock Drowning, turn off the power sources and call 911. Do not enter the water.

For more information, check out ESFI’s infographic on the dangers of Electric Shock Drowning.