SDOT advises travelers that construction for the Rainier View Elementary Safe Routes to School Project will begin as soon as Tuesday, January 2, and continue through April 2018. Work on Beacon Ave S, S Bangor St, and 55th Ave S will include new marked crossings, curb bulbs and speed humps near Rainier View Elementary. This work is weather dependent.
From 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays beginning Tuesday, January 2, through April 2018, travelers can expect:
- Potential traffic delays due to temporary lane closures on Beacon Ave S (outside of morning and afternoon school peak traffic times)
- Flaggers to help maintain 2-way traffic around the work zone
- Temporary pedestrian detours
- Temporary bus stop closures for King County Metro Route 107
- Rider Alerts will be posted
- For information on changes to Metro routes call 206-553-3000 or visit http://kingcounty.gov/metro/alerts
- Temporary parking restrictions with 72-hour notice
This work is part of the Rainier View Elementary Safe Routes to School (SRTS) Project to improve safety and access on the walking and biking route to school. Construction is funded by a Washington Department of Transportation SRTS grand and the 9-year Levy to Move Seattle, approved by voters in 2015.
Please visit the project webpage at http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/SafeRoutesRainierView.htm for more information and to sign up for construction email updates. For questions, email PedestrianImprovements3@seattle.gov or by call (206) 727-3580.