Holiday Safety Tips

The Seattle Fire Department would like to remind residents to be mindful of fire safety during this holiday season. Holiday-related home fires primarily involve cooking, heating and electrical sources. Busy kitchens can lead to unattended stoves. Cold winter weather results in high use of space and wall heaters. Festive lights can be temptation for the use of overloaded outlets and dangerous extension cords.

View the Seattle Fire Department’s Holiday Tips video.

Here are some tips to keep you safe:

    1. Cooking is the number one cause of holiday fires. Make sure to be present while you are cooking and keep children three feet away from the stove.
    2. If you do have a pan fire on the stove,put a lid on it to extinguish the fire. Never use water on a grease fire.
    3. Consider using electrical candles ore decorations. If you do use real flames, blow out  candles before leaving the room or going to bed.
    4. Keep holiday decorations at least three feet away from heat sources.
    5. Water your tree daily. Make sure to turn off all holiday lights on the tree and around your house when you to to sleep or leave the house.
    6. Utilize a power strip with an internal circuit breaker so you don’t overload electrical outlets. Never connect more than three strings of holiday lights together.
    7. Make sure you smoke and CO alarms are working so you and your family can get out safely if a fire starts.

The Seattle Fire Department wishes you and your family a happy holiday season.