Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention

This week a person in Indiana died and a child was hospitalized from carbon monoxide poisoning. The first responders found their oven being used to heat the home.

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless gas that can cause severe illness or death. Carbon Monoxide is found in all fires, as well as fumes produced by charcoal or gas. It is produced by cars and trucks, small gasoline engines, stoves, lanterns, burning charcoal and wood, and gas ranges and heating systems.

 Here are ways to keep your family safe from carbon monoxide poisoning.

  1. Do not use items that produce carbon monoxide inside your home or garage or outside an open window.
  2. Never use gas ovens to heat your home, even for a short time.
  3. If you use a fireplace or wood stove, make sure that chimneys and flues are in good condition and are not blocked.
  4. Never idle a car in a garage, even when the garage door is open.
  5. If you use gas or oil appliances, make certain carbon monoxide detectors are installed on every level of your home and outside every sleeping area. Test your carbon monoxide detectors along with your smoke alarms monthly and change the batteries at least once a year.

If the CO detector sounds, turn off any heating appliance and open windows to get fresh air. Call 911 if you experience CO poisoning symptoms such as dizziness, vomiting, or headaches and move to fresh air immediately. If you suspect an appliance is the source, call a qualified technician to fix the problem before restarting the appliance.

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Handout