Officer Involved Shooting Investigation in Magnuson Park

Detectives are currently conducting an investigation into the events that culminated in a fatal officer-involved shooting in Magnuson Park.

Officers were notified of an armed robbery at a business in the Northgate Mall shortly after 10:00 pm on Monday evening.  A store manager confronted two suspects, a man and a woman, and the male suspect displayed a handgun, causing the manager to back away.  The suspects drove from the mall, only to relocate to an apartment complex parking lot in the Northgate neighborhood.

An apartment manager observed the suspicious vehicle in the parking lot and went to investigate.  The male suspect confronted the manager and fired his gun into the ground toward the manager.   The manager reported the incident to police as the suspects drove away.

A short time later officers contacted the female suspect on Holman Road NW and took her into custody.  As officers were arresting her, the male suspect, who was still in the suspect vehicle, drove away.  Officers pursued the vehicle knowing that it had been involved in an armed robbery.

During the pursuit the suspect fired multiple rounds at officers from his vehicle in the 100 block of  NE 80th Street.  No officers were injured and it does not appear that any of the patrol vehicles were struck by gunfire.

The pursuit continued as the suspect entered Magnuson Park and came to a stop near the boat ramp.  The suspect got out of the car with a gun and officers fired at the suspect, striking him.  Officers immediately provided first aid until the Seattle Fire Department arrived and took over medical care. Medics transported the suspect to Harborview Medical Center, where he was pronounced deceased.

As per SPD policy, designed in collaboration with the Department of Justice, detectives from the Force Investigation Team and Crime Scene Investigators are on scene with representatives from the Office of Professional Accountability to collect evidence and review the incident.

Per department policy, the  officers involved in the shooting will be placed on paid administrative leave during the investigation.

There were multiple officers involved and there are several scenes that are being processed.

This information is preliminary and subject to change as the investigation proceeds.