Your water meter doesn’t just track the amount of water that flows into your home—it’s also a great tool for finding leaks in and around your home.
Follow these easy steps to determine if you have a leak in your home or yard:
Determine if you have a leak
1. Turn off all water-using appliances
Turn off all water-using appliances and fixtures (faucets, dishwasher, washing machine, etc.) in and around your home.
2. Locate your water meter
3. Find the low flow indicator
Locate the leak
1. Close the main water shut-off valve for your home
The shut-off valve can usually be found in a basement, crawlspace, or garage.
2. Check the low flow indicator
3. Outdoor leaks
- If you do not have an irrigation system, your leak is on the water service line between your meter and the house.
- If you have an irrigation system, shut off the water to the system and check your meter. If the low flow indicator stops moving, your leak is in your irrigation system. If not, your leak is on your water service line.
For all outdoor leaks, SPU suggests you contact a professional plumber.
Find a how-to video on using your water meter to detect leaks on our Youtube channel.