High Winds and Heavy Rainfall – Are you ready?

Is your household ready for the forecasted storm this weekend?

Make sure you have an emergency preparedness kit with at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food and water, flashlights and a radio. For more tips and checklists to help you prepare, visit  Seattle Office of Emergency Management.

If you have not already, take a few minutes and sign up for AlertSeattle, the City of Seattle’s emergency notification system. It will keep you informed regarding weather-related information and power outages.

Remember, Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a dangerous, odorless, poisonous gas. Heating and cooking devices that burn fuel can be sources of CO. Follow these tips to help keep your house fire and carbon monoxide safe:

  • Only use a charcoal grill, hibachi, or portable camping stove outdoors and never use them to heat your home.
  • Before lighting a fire, ensure chimneys and flues are in good condition and not blocked.
  • Always run a generator and any gas-powered equipment outdoors.

CO can cause severe illness and death. If you experience symptoms of headache, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea and mental confusion; get outside and call 911.