Georgetown House Fire Ruled Accidental

Fire investigators determined the fire in the 6600 block of Flora Avenue South was accidental. The fire was a result of smoking materials discarded in a five gallon plastic bucket filled with potting soil.

At 5:04 a.m., fire dispatchers received calls reporting flames from the porch of a single family residence. Neighbors were able to wake the sleeping residents who safely evacuated the home.

First arriving units found that the fire had spread from the front porch up the exterior siding and into the eaves and attic space of the home. Units made an aggressive attack on the fire and quickly extinguished it.

The damage to the building and contents of the home is estimated at 70,000 dollars.