SDOT advises travelers of upcoming weekend detours and intersection closures to through-traffic at the 23rd Avenue and East Union Street intersection June 18 – 19, July 9 – 10, and July 16 – 17 as crews continue work on the 23rd Avenue Corridor Improvements Project. This schedule is weather dependent and subject to change. Please see below for details.
From 7 a.m. on Saturday to 5 p.m. on Sunday on the weekends of June 18 – 19, July 9 – 10, and July 16 – 17, travelers can expect the following:
- The intersection of 23rd Avenue and East Union Street will be closed to traffic in all directions, but local access to destinations near the intersection will be provided.
- East Union Street will be open only for local access from 14th Avenue to Martin Luther King Jr Way.
- Northbound 23rd Avenue remains closed between East Cherry and East Madison streets; during weekend closures at the East Union Street intersection, 23rd Avenue will be open only for local access between East Madison and East Cherry streets.
- Detours around the intersection of 23rd Avenue and East Union Street include:
- For southbound 23rd Avenue traffic, drivers will follow a detour via East Madison Street to 14th Avenue, with a left on East Cherry Street to return to 23rd Avenue.
- For northbound 23rd Avenue traffic, drivers will follow a detour via East Cherry Street to Martin Luther King Jr Way, with a left on East Madison Street to return to 23rd Avenue.
- For westbound East Union Street traffic, drivers will take Martin Luther King Jr Way to East Cherry Street. To return to East Union Street, use 14th Avenue.
- For eastbound East Union Street traffic, drivers will take 14th Avenue to East Cherry Street. To return to East Union Street, use Martin Luther King Jr Way.
Pedestrian crossings will be maintained and clearly marked. Please continue to patronize businesses on 23rd Ave as they remain open and accessible during construction. SDOT would like to thank the public for its patience while this work is completed.
For more information on this project go to: http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/23rd_Ave.htm.
For information about bus service and Rider Alerts, visit Metro Online at http://metro.kingcounty.gov/alerts/ or call 206-553-3000.