SDOT advises travelers of weekend construction, detours and an intersection closure at 23rd Avenue and East Cherry Street June 3 to 5 while crews complete work on the 23rd Avenue Corridor Improvements Project. Local access will be provided to residences and businesses. Please see below for details.
From 7 p.m. on Friday, June 3, to 11 p.m. on Sunday, June 5, travelers can expect the following:
- The intersection of 23rd Avenue and East Cherry Street will be closed to traffic in all directions, but local access to destinations near the intersection will be provided.
- East Cherry Street will be open only for local access from 14th Avenue to Martin Luther King Jr Way.
- 23rd Avenue will be open only for local access between East Union Street and East Yesler Way; however, normal southbound access will resume at East Jefferson Street.
- Please note: northbound 23rd Avenue remains closed between East Cherry and East Madison streets.
- Detours around the intersection of 23rd Avenue and East Cherry Street include:
- For southbound 23rd Avenue traffic, drivers will follow a detour via East Union Street to 14th Avenue, with a left on East Yesler Way to return to 23rd Avenue.
- For northbound 23rd Avenue traffic, drivers will follow a detour via East Yesler Way to Martin Luther King Jr Way, with a left on East Madison Street to return to 23rd Avenue.
- For westbound East Cherry Street traffic, drivers will take Martin Luther King Jr Way to East Union Street. To return to East Cherry Street, use 14th Avenue.
- For eastbound East Cherry Street traffic, drivers will take 14th Avenue to East Yesler Way. To return to East Cherry Street, use Martin Luther King Jr Way.
- The E Cherry St driveway to Arco/AMPM will be closed; access will be provided via 23rd Ave from the south.
Pedestrian crossings will be maintained and clearly marked. SDOT would like to thank the public for its patience while this work is completed.
For more information on this project go to: http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/23rd_Ave.htm.
For information about bus service and Rider Alerts, visit Metro Online at http://metro.kingcounty.gov/alerts/ or call 206-553-3000.