SDOT advises travelers in the Pioneer Square and Chinatown/International District areas to plan for major traffic changes due to the closure of Yesler Way Bridge for construction starting today, May 23.
These traffic changes mark the start of construction to improve safety and reliability for people who drive, walk, bike and take transit on Yesler Way over 4th Avenue S. Construction is anticipated to last between 14 and 16 months, with an expected completion date in fall 2017.
Beginning Monday, May 23 at 4 a.m., travelers can expect the following changes:
- Yesler Way will be fully closed in both directions between Third Avenue and midway between Fifth and Sixth avenues, no parking will be permitted during closure
- Terrace St will be closed to through traffic; local access will be maintained to the alley off of Fifth Avenue
- Fourth Avenue will have ongoing single-lane closures and occasional full nighttime and weekend closures
- Sidewalks on either side of Fourth Avenue will have alternating closures
- Some bus stops will be temporarily relocated and some transit routes will be temporarily detoured; transit agencies will notify affected riders
- Bicycle detour routes in project area
- Parking will be impacted on Yesler Way, Terrace Street, and Fourth and Fifth avenues
For more information about detour routes and the Yesler Bridge Rehabilitation Project, please visit the project website at www.seattle.gov/transportation/YeslerBridge.htm. If you have questions, please call us at 206-684-8684 or email us at YeslerBridge@seattle.gov.