When it’s hot this summer, Seattle residents don’t need to go far to cool off. Seattle Parks and Recreation has a long list of places to get cool in the water, including beaches, wading pools, water spray features, and outdoor pools.
Two Outdoor Pools
Parks operates two unique outdoor pools for summer fun. Each offers swimming lessons, family swimming, water exercise programs and special events. The pools can also be rented for special occasions.
Lowery C. “Pop” Mounger Pool, at 2535 32nd Ave. W, 206-684-4708, is open daily now through September 11. Mounger Pool is really two pools in one place. The “big pool” has a 50-foot corkscrew slide and the warmer, shallower “little pool” is great for relaxing and for teaching little ones. Call the pool to reserve it for your own birthday party or other special event.
Colman Pool, at 8603 Fauntleroy Way SW, 206-684-7494, opens for the regular season at noon on June 20 and will remain open until Sept. 5. The pool will also be open on certain pre-season weekends including May 28-30, June 4-5, June 11-12 and June 18-19. The pool enjoys a spectacular view of Puget Sound from its prime location on the beach in West Seattle’s Lincoln Park. It features heated salt water and the Giant Tube Slide!
Wading Pools and Water Spray Features
Your little ones will love the cool, shallow water and you can cool your own grown-up toes too. We will operate 16 wading pool sites this summer, and there are 10 parks with spray features to enjoy. Please note that the pools take about an hour to fill and drain each day, as required by law. Closing and opening dates vary. Click here to see the Summer Guide for schedules. Wading pools are open on days with sunny skies and warm temperatures. Call the hotline at 206-684-7796 by 9 a.m. each day to find out whether pools will be filled. All spray features are open from May 28 to Sept. 5.
Four-day-a-week Wading Pools (open noon to 6:30 p.m. unless otherwise noted):
- Hiawatha Community Center, 2700 California Ave. SW, Wed/Thurs/Fri/Sat-6/29-8/20
- Delridge Community Center, 4501 Delridge Way SW, Mon/Tues/Sat/Sun-6/27-8/21
- South Park, 8319 8th Ave. S, noon-7pm., Mon/Tue/Wed/Thurs-6/27-8/18
Three-day-a-week Wading Pools (all are open from noon to 7 p.m. unless otherwise noted):
- Bitter Lake, 13035 Linden Ave. N, Wed/Thu/Fri-6/29-8/19
- Cal Anderson Park, 1635 11th Ave., noon to 6:30 p.m., Fri/Sat/Sun-7/1-8/21
- Dahl Playfield, 7700 25th Ave. NE, Tues/Wed/Thurs-6/28-8/18
- East Queen Anne, 160 Howe St., Sun/Mon/Tue-6/27-8/21
- E.C. Hughes, 2805 SW Holden St., Wed/Thu/Fri-6/29-8/19
- Soundview, 1590 NW 90th St., Sat/Sun/Mon-6/27-8/21
- Wallingford, 4219Wallingford Ave. N, Wed/Thu/Fri-6/29-8/19
Daily Wading Pools (all are open from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. 6/25-9/5, unless otherwise noted):
- Green Lake, N 73rd and E Green Lake Dr. N
- Lincoln Park, 8600 Fauntleroy Ave. SW
- Magnuson, eastern end of NE 65th St., noon to 6:30 p.m. 6/25-8/28
- Van Asselt, 2820 S Myrtle St.
- Volunteer Park, 1400 E Galer St.
Daily Water Spray Parks (all are open from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. 5/28-9/5 unless otherwise noted):
- Ballard Commons, 5701 22nd Ave. NW
- Beacon Mountain at Jefferson Park, 3901 Beacon Ave. S
- John C. Little, 6961 37th Ave. S
- Lower Judkins, 2150 S Norman St.
- Georgetown Playfield, 750 S Homer St.
- Highland Park, 1100 SW Cloverdale
- Lake Union Park, 860 Terry Ave. N
- Miller Community Center, 330 19th Ave. E (Miller will open at a later start time May 27-June 21, call the wading pool hotline for the best information 206-684-7796)
- Northacres Park, 12800 1st Ave. NE
- Pratt Park, 1800 S Main St.
Parks offers safe, lifeguarded beaches at nine sites around the city, and we strongly recommend swimming only where lifeguards are present. Most beaches open June 25, weather permitting, from noon to 7 p.m. weekdays and 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. Amenities range from swim rafts and low and high diving boards to nearby wading pools, play areas, ballfields and more.
These beaches are open May 28 through Aug. 28:
(Hours from May 28-June 24 are 2 to 7 p.m. weekdays and 11a.m. to 7 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays)
- East Green Lake, 7201 E Green Lake Dr. N
- Madrona, 853 Lake Washington Blvd.
These beaches are open June 25 through Sept. 5:
- Matthews, 9300 51st Ave. NE
- Madison, 1900 43rd Ave. E
- Mt. Baker, 2301 Lake Washington Blvd. S
- Seward, 5902 Lake Washington Blvd. S
- West Green Lake, 7312 W Green Lake Dr.
These beaches are open June 25 through Aug. 28:
- Magnuson, park entrance at NE 65th and Sand Point Way NE
- Pritchard Beach, 8400 55th Ave. S
For a more complete and detailed listing of fun summer activities in Seattle parks, please visit http://www.seattle.gov/parks/SummerGuide.htm to view the 2016 Summer Guide.