Detached Garage Fire Ruled Accidental

Fire investigators determined the fire on the 170 block of Lake Washington Boulevard East was accidental. The fire was the result of a chemical reaction from oil soaked rags placed in a trash can.

At 2:26 a.m., fire dispatchers received a call reporting a fire in a detached garage that had spread to a three-story, single family residence. The caller reported all of the occupants of the home were able to get out safely. Engine 34, the first firefighters to arrive on scene, reported the garage was on fire and there was no extension to the house. Engine 34 extended a pre-connect hose line, while Engine 6 secured a water supply connection to the hydrant. By 2:42 a.m., firefighters had the fire under control and contained to the garage. The fire was extinguished at 2:55 a.m. There were no injuries.

The damage to the garage and contents is estimated at 50,000 dollars.