Multi-Family Home Fire Ruled Accidental

Fire investigators have determined the basement fire on the 200 block of 10 Avenue East was accidental. The fire was the result of improperly discarded smoking materials.

At 8:15 p.m., on May 4, 2016, fire dispatchers received several calls reporting the fire at the multi-family dwelling. When Ladder 10 arrived on the scene, they saw smoke and flames coming from the north side of the basement in the two-story home. Firefighters conducted a primary search of the building and did not find anyone inside. Once the primary search was completed, the incident commander ordered firefighters to continue to fight the fire defensively. All firefighters exited the building and began to apply water on the fire from the exterior of the building, containing the fire to the basement. The fire was knocked down and the incident commander transitioned the fire back to an offensive operation. Firefighters re-entered the home and used fans to push the heat and smoke out of the building, increasing their visibility. The fire was extinguished within 38 minutes of the first arriving firefighters.

There were no injuries and the lone occupant of the home was outside when firefighters arrived.

The damage to the building and contents of the home is estimated at 50,000 dollars.