Stay Fire Safe this Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is the peak day for home cooking fires with three times as many as an average day.  Other holiday-related home fires involve heating and electrical sources.

Unattended cooking is a leading contributing factor in cooking fires.

Make your Thanksgiving fire safe with these helpful tips:

  • Keep an adult by the stove while cooking your favorite dishes!
  • Involve children in preparing foods that are not hot, and at least 3 feet from a hot stove.
  • Check on food regularly while cooking – unattended cooking is the number one cause of home fires
  • Unplug kitchen electrical items which have a heating element such as coffee pots, rice cookers and toasters, when not in use
  • Extinguish candles before leaving the room and before going to bed.  Better yet, use flameless candles.
  • Give your heaters space! Keep flammable items 1 foot from baseboard heaters and 3 feet from portable space heaters.
  • If a fire starts on the stove top, cover it with a lid or metal cookie sheet and turn the stove off. Do not throw water on a grease fire.

Using a turkey fryer? Read these Safety Tips.

For additional Thanksgiving safety information visit the National Fire Protection Association.