PACE (People’s Academy for Community Engagement) hosted a seminar last week on how to make events and meetings more inclusive for everyone. Known as Universal Design, Deborah Witmer of the Seattle Commission for People with Disabilities and Jess Chow from the City talked to a standing room only crowd. Here are a few quick tips they shared:
- Make sure your location is visible! It is easy to find and well lit.
- Prioritize budget to include interpretation
- If a PowerPoint is used, verbally communicate each slide, including graphs and charts.
- Invite community to aid in planning events, meetings or programs.
- Allow for participants to participate!
- Facilitate, don’t lecture!