Today the Seattle Department of Transportation began to build safety improvements on Twelfth Avenue at East Howell and East Olive streets. Construction will last for approximately six weeks, weather permitting.
This work will require temporary closures of East Howell and East Olive streets to all traffic at Twelfth Avenue beginning tomorrow, Sept. 30 and will be in place 24-hours a day throughout the project. During the first three weeks of construction, the east side of the intersection of East Howell Street and Twelfth Avenue and the west side of the intersection of East Olive Street and Twelfth Avenue will be closed. During the last three weeks of construction, the west side of the intersection of East Howell Street and Twelfth Avenue and the east side of the intersection of East Olive Street and Twelfth Avenue will be closed. See the construction map for details.
Bike lanes on Twelfth Avenue between East Pine Street and East Denny Way will also be closed and people riding bikes will need to merge with vehicle traffic.
During construction you can expect:
- Construction activity from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday to Friday.
- Parking and lane restrictions on Twelfth Avenue between East Pine Street and East Denny Way. A flagger will be present to maintain two-way traffic.
- Temporary closures on E Howell and E Olive streets at Twelfth Avenue. Local access will be maintained at all times.
- Pedestrian and bicycle detours around the work areas.
- Temporary closure of the US Postal Service collection box at the corner of Twelfth Avenue and East Howell Street.
- Noise, dust and vibration associated with concrete removal and paving.
The goal of these improvements is to allow safer crossings for pedestrians and improve mobility for all users. Curb bulbs help reduce crossing lengths and improve visibility between people walking and people driving. The work will include:
- Curb extensions to facilitate safer, shorter crossings for people crossing the street
- ADA-compliant curb ramps for smoother and better access
- New striped crosswalks that cross Twelfth Avenue at both intersections
- Drainage improvements at both intersections
This project is funded by the Bridging the Gap transportation levy, through the Neighborhood Street Fund Program.
If you have questions or concerns during construction, please contact the project team at NSF@seattle.gov or 206-733-9361, or visit the project website: www.seattle.gov/transportation/12thavenueimprovements.htm.