Two-alarm Boylston Avenue fire ruled accidental

Seattle Fire Investigators determined that yesterday’s two-alarm fire in an apartment building at 1517 Boylston Avenue was caused by an electrical malfunction in a refrigerator. The damage is estimated at $73-thousand to the contents and the building.

Black smoke and flames were reported coming from a first floor unit at 5:41 Monday afternoon. Due to the amount of fire and the number of injuries, additional firefighters were called to the incident. Five residents were transported to Harborview Medical Center. Four residents suffered smoke inhalation and another suffered a leg fracture after jumping from a third story window on to the roof of an adjacent building. None of the injuries are considered life threatening.

A total of 45 people were displaced from the building. Red Cross is providing assistance with temporary housing.