Washington State Department of Transportation
State Route 99/Aurora Avenue North will be closed between the Battery Street Tunnel and Valley Street this weekend, Aug. 21 – 24. Travelers should plan ahead and prepare for additional local street congestion during the weekend.
When the highway reopens at 5 a.m. Monday, drivers will see a noticeable shift in traffic patterns on SR 99. Crews will move both directions of SR 99 near Harrison Street onto a new, curved structure west of the existing highway. This new structure is a bridge that passes over roads leading from the future SR 99 tunnel portal.
Visit the program website for a diagram of this traffic shift, and visit WSDOT’s YouTube channel for a video explaining the shift and how it fits into the larger project.
SR 99 Closure Details – SR 99/Aurora Avenue North closed between the south end of the Battery Street Tunnel and Valley Street
- Closed from 10 p.m. Friday, Aug. 21 to 5 a.m. Monday, Aug. 24.
- Closed Friday, Aug. 21 starting two hours after the end of the Mariners game. Will reopen by 5 a.m. Monday, Aug. 24.
- WSDOT crews will also close up to two lanes of northbound SR 99 across the Aurora Bridge for bridge maintenance work between 5 a.m. and 5 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 22.
Harrison Street at SR 99 – changes beginning Monday, Aug. 24
- Drivers will no longer be able to enter northbound SR 99 via westbound Harrison Street due to construction. Access to northbound SR 99 from Thomas and John streets will remain open.
- Northbound drivers on SR 99 will be able to exit at Harrison Street as they do today.