Unattended Candle Caused Weekend House Fire in Ballard

August 16—Seattle Firefighters quickly extinguished a fire inside a 2nd story home located in the 8300 block of 28th Avenue NW.

At 9:21 p.m., firefighters were called to the home for reports of flames visible from the second floor window of the home. When firefighters arrived they found a small fire in the upstairs bedroom. The family evacuated the home.  A neighbor used a dry chemical extinguisher on the fire to knock it down before firefighters arrived.

The fire was started by an unattended candle left on a desk full of papers and books. The flames burned a window casing above the desk and also caught the window blinds on fire. The damage estimate is $3,500.

The family was allowed to re-occupy the home after firefighters cleared the atmosphere of smoke.