Early Morning S. Park House Fire Caused by Transient Activity

August 17—A Seattle Fire Investigators determined an early morning fire at a vacant South Park home was accidental, caused by transient activity which ignited combustible materials in the attic space.

At 5:36 a.m. a 911 call came into the Fire Alarm Center reporting a large amount of smoke coming from an abandoned home located in the 1400 block of South Donovan Street. Firefighters arrived to find smoke pouring from the eaves of the home. The house was vacant and previously boarded up. The local engine company had previously inspected the property and found interior hazards so the house was listed as a dangerous building.

Due to the dangerous building status, firefighters launched a defensive attack, fighting the fire from the outside of the building to avoid exposing firefighters to any unnecessary risks. Due to fire damage to the home, a collapse zone was created around the immediately exterior of the house.

The flames extended from the attic space down to the second floor of the home. Crews used multiple hose lines and two ladder pipes capable of dumping 1,000 gallons a minute each on the fire. At 9:27 a.m. the fire was extinguished or tapped.

During the firefight, the roof of the home and a second floor collapsed. Once the flames were knocked down, crews searched both floors of the home and the basement for any occupants. No one was found inside the home.  Waist-deep combustibles were piled up throughout the home which made the search more challenging.

The damage estimate is $55,000 and there were no reported injuries.