(Please note: Correction to Metro Transit Route 8, southbound)
The Seattle Department of Transportation advises travelers of weekend construction at the intersection of South Jackson Street and 23rd Avenue South while crews begin replacing the water main as part of the 23rd Avenue Corridor Improvements Project. Detours will be in effect for drivers heading north, west or south through this intersection, though local access will be maintained and businesses accessible. Additional work at this intersection is tentatively planned for the weekend of June 19-22 and two weekends in July.
Beginning at 9 p.m. Friday, June 12 through 5 a.m. Monday, June 15 travelers can expect the following:
Access to westbound South Jackson Street at 23rd Avenue South will be closed to traffic.
Eastbound drivers using South Jackson Street will be able to continue east through the intersection or head south on 23rd Avenue South.
Westbound South Jackson Street between 25th and 23rd Avenues will be local access only.
Southbound 23rd Avenue between East Yesler Way and South Jackson Street will be local access only.
Detours around the intersection of S Jackson Street at 23rd Avenue S include:
- For southbound 23rd Avenue traffic, drivers will follow a detour via East Yesler Way to 20th Avenue South, continuing on South Judkins Street to 23rd Avenue
- Northbound 23rd Avenue remains closed between South Jackson and East Cherry Street; drivers should follow the detour to Martin Luther King Jr Way which reconnects with 23rd Avenue at East Cherry Street
To access westbound South Jackson Street, detours routes include:
- From the east, drivers should take Martin Luther King Jr Way to East Yesler Way to 20th Avenue South to South Jackson Street
- From the south, drivers can use the signed detour via Martin Luther King Jr Way to East Yesler Way to 20th Avenue South to South Jackson Street or take South Judkins Street to 20th Avenue South to South Jackson Street
- From the north, drivers on 23rd Avenue or Martin Luther King Jr Way should follow East Yesler Way to 20th Avenue South to South Jackson Street
The detour that went into effect on June 8 for 23rd Avenue construction will remain in place. This detour directs northbound drivers using 23rd Avenue between South Jackson and East Cherry streets to Martin Luther King Jr Way.
Metro bus route detours and changes:
- Westbound Route 14 will go northbound on Martin Luther King Jr Way from South Jackson Street, turn westbound onto East Yesler Way, southbound on 20th Avenue South and westbound onto South Jackson Street
- Southbound Routes 4, 8 and 48 will go westbound on East Yesler Way, southbound on 20th Avenue South, east on South Jackson Street and continue southbound on 23rd Avenue
- Northbound Routes 4, 8 and 48 will continue to use the Martin Luther King Jr Way detour between South Jackson and East Cherry streets
- For more information about Metro changes and detours during construction visit
Flaggers and uniformed police officers will be present to manage traffic and assist pedestrians.
Pedestrian crossings will be maintained and businesses will remain open and accessible.
Please visit the website for more information and to view detour maps http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/23rd_Ave.htm