Seattle’s Office of Sustainability & Environment (OSE) is seeking a graduate intern beginning Spring quarter to conduct background investigations and assist with stakeholder engagement to support the development of building energy efficiency and GHG reduction policies. The work is part of OSE’s larger effort to implement the City of Seattle’s Climate Action Plan, which outlines how the City can achieve carbon neutrality by 2050.
Educational benefits to the student
- Learn about energy related policies, programs, and regulations of diverse municipalities.
- Gain knowledge about building energy efficiency practices through their investigations and analysis.
- Gain a deeper understanding of how the City of Seattle evaluates and advances environmental policies and initiatives.
- Meet and learn from building professionals and representatives of Seattle’s building stakeholder organizations.
- Strengthen their ability to effectively collect, organize, and communicate complex information.
- Sharpen analysis and writing skills.
- Research and collect information on the building energy-efficiency approaches—policies, programs and regulations—of jurisdictions across the US and internationally.
- Research and analyze available information on the impact and implementation needs of the various approaches.
- Compile and organize all relevant resources and information into a format usable for reference by City staff.
- Write a summary report that contains a synopsis and evaluation of each approach investigated for use as a resource by City staff.
- Develop presentation materials for meetings with stakeholders
- Assist with preparations, facilitation and documentation of stakeholder engagement meetings.
Experience related to building energy efficiency.
Experience in City government.
Basic graphic design proficiency.
Hours: approximately 20 hours per week while class is in session; and up to 40 hours in the summer. Hours will be scheduled between 8:00 am – 6:00 pm M-F, and adjusted to accommodate class schedule.
Start/End dates: This internship will begin in late March/early April 2015 and end in September 2015
How to apply: Complete an online application at www.seattle.gov/jobs (click on student opportunities) and please attach the following:
- Your unofficial transcript: including current coursework and cumulative GPA
- Cover letter & Resume
- Writing sample
- Three References
** Incomplete application package will not be considered.