• Make sure storm drains are clear of leaves and debris to prevent flooding in your neighborhood. Clear with a rake or broom (only if it’s safe). Don’t put grass clippings, leaves, or other debris into drains, ditches, creeks, culverts, gutters or ravines. If a storm drain appears blocked below the street surface, call 206-386-1800.
• Have a family emergency kit. Keep enough water, food and other supplies (flashlights, crank or battery-operated radio, blankets) in your home to meet your needs for at least three days.
• Have a family disaster plan.
• Stay out of flooding basements. Check to see if your homeowner’s insurance covers flood damage.
• Protect water pipes from freezing in exposed or unheated areas (attics, basements and garages) by wrapping with tape and insulating materials.
Visit www.takewinterbystorm.org for more tips on how to prepare for winter storms.