The Office of Economic Development is now accepting applications for a Public Relations specialist position via the city’s Career Center. This position will be located at OED and will support the City’s economic development agenda and mission to create a vibrant economy that benefits the whole city by promoting access to economic opportunities for all of Seattle’s diverse communities, and strengthening existing industries. This position will provide direct support for community outreach and public engagement for OED programs across OED’s lines of business, including the Office of Film + Music (OFM), at the intersection of public policy with the city’s business environment, industry sectors, workforce development partners, and neighborhood business districts.
Reporting to the Communications Director, the Public Relations Specialist will service both City functions (OED & OFM) through marketing, communication, and outreach tasks that support the City’s economic development agenda and mission. The position is a ½ FTE (Full-Time Equivalent), or 20 hours a week, and there may be the opportunity for additional hours up to 0.75 FTE in 2015. We are looking for a candidate that is willing and able to work additional hours as funding is available.
- Writing, designing, preparing, developing, and producing a variety of public information materials including: articles relating to news on Seattle business and economy, website content, blog and social media posts, program brochures, office newsletters, event promotional collateral, reports, advertising, slideshow presentations, news releases, etc.;
- Assisting with the planning and implementation of marketing strategies for a variety of departmental projects and programs;
- Participating in the design, development, production, and distribution of promotional materials, including the production of foreign language materials and other strategies from the City’s Inclusive Outreach and Public Engagement toolkit;
- Supporting the planning, developing, and evaluating methods to encourage resident participation in departmental programs and projects;
- With support and supervision, assessing Office and audience needs and evaluates effectiveness of communication efforts for OED’s programs, including creating monthly analytical reports on OED’s communications assets using such tools as Google Analytics;
- Serving as a technical assistant to various citizen advisory committees by conducting research on issues, scheduling meetings, taking meeting minutes, or other similar activities;
- Providing data entry and maintenance of OED Communications databases for newsletter distribution, media lists and other tools; and
- Responding to inquiries from the general public by phone, in person, or in writing.
Knowledge of the following programs will determine a candidate’s effectiveness in this role:
- Microsoft Suite, Adobe Suite, In-Design, PowerPoint, Constant Contact, DreamWeaver, FTP programs, CMS programs, WordPress and other website back ends, and Social Media platforms.
Competitive candidates will have a Bachelors degree in a related field, 2-5 years of work or internship experience in communications/marketing field and demonstrate ability to write and edit quickly in a fast-paced work environment across multiple communications channels and to a variety of audiences.
The position will close on Tuesday, December 2 at 4 pm.
For a complete job description, full list of qualifications, and instructions on how to apply please visit the Career Center and use the search term “Public Relations Specialist”.