Inside: Tips for Your Kitchen Container
• Use a kitchen container with a tight-fitting lid and/or a carbon filter.
• Put food scraps in a compostable bag, paper bag or wrap the food scraps in newspaper and store in the freezer until collection day.
• Rinse out your kitchen container after emptying it.
• Line the container with a scrap of cardboard, paper bag or paper towel.
• Sprinkle baking soda in the container.
Outside: Tips for Your Food and Yard Waste Cart
• A small layer of shredded paper or newspaper can absorb liquids in your cart
• Keep your cart clean. Line the bottom with newspaper and/or layer food scraps and food-soiled paper with your yard waste.
• Using paper or compostable bags will also help keep the cart clean.
• If you rinse your cart, dump the liquid on a lawn, planting area, or gravel bed and NOT down a storm drain or in the street where the waste water will go down the storm drain.
During the month of September, Seattle, King County, BioBag, and Bartell Drugs are bringing you huge savings on kitchen scrap containers and BioBag compostable bags at a Bartell Drugs near you. Learn more and find a retailer near you at www.recyclefood.com.