Did you know that The Beatles made their Washington State premiere on Aug. 21, 1964? It was quite the scene. They played to 14,300 frenzied fans in Seattle Center Coliseum (now KeyArena), the first concert ever in the building.
Now 50 years later, we’re celebrating this historic appearance with Beatles Week at Seattle Center, Aug. 18-23. Join us for Beatles-themed sights, sounds and savory offerings including:
- Music spanning all the years of The Beatles played in International Fountain, Aug 18-23.
- Beatles-themed specials at Seattle Center Armory food merchants including: 50% off Strawberry Lemonade Cheesecake Dips at The Confectional; and 50% off Strawberry Fields Forever – Strawberry Red Bull Italian soda, Blackbird Mocha – Blackberry mocha, and All You Need is a Latte – Hazelnut latte at Ceres Roasting Company.
- Beatles music played at the Space Needle, on the observation deck and gift shop levels.
- Special Beatles Week Proclamation by Seattle Mayor Ed Murray.
- Laser Beatles, featuring classic Beatles songs choreographed live in brilliant laser light, daily at 1:45 p.m.; and Laser Beatles: Sgt. Pepper, exploring this immortal album in its entirety through the medium of laser light, daily at 4:45 p.m., Aug. 18-23, in the Laser Dome at Pacific Science Center. More at: Pacific Science Center.
- Seattle’s Best Damn Happy Hour The Beatles Remembered, with Beatles-themed music, drinks, trivia, and prizes, 5 p.m. – 8 p.m., Thursday, Aug. 21, in Seattle Center Armory.
- The 50th Anniversary of The Beatles Visit to the Seattle Center Concert Celebration!, a free concert, 7 p.m. – 8:30 p.m., at Mural Amphitheatre. Cover band Crème Tangerine performs at this benefit for Northwest Harvest. Canned goods and donations will be accepted on site. More at: Creme Tangerine.
- Kids are invited to create their own Beetle Bug with recycled materials and travel it along the Seattle Children’s Museum’s ‘Abbey Road’, 10:30 a.m. – 5 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 23.
- “Get Back” Celebrating the 50th Anniversary of The Beatles in Seattle presented by Synergia NW 2014, 8 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 23, at Marion Oliver McCaw Hall at Seattle Center. Seattle Center.
The Beatles came to Seattle at a time of tremendous civic excitement and idealism following the extraordinary success of the 1962 World’s Fair, and it reaffirmed the place of the city in global popular culture. The Beatles also inspired countless local musicians, who later earned their own renown; and the band’s legacy lives on, touching new generations with enduring melodies and lyrics that speak of simple, yet profound truths.
For Seattle Center, The Beatles launched a half century of truly incredible live music at Seattle Center Coliseum/KeyArena and helped established the Center as an important entertainment hub for our region. Beatles Week highlights many indoor and outdoor performance venues at Seattle Center.
Beatles Week at Seattle Center is presented by Seattle Center in partnership with the City of Seattle, Pacific Science Center, Space Needle, Seattle Children’s Museum, and Synergia NW. For more information on Beatles Week at Seattle Center, visit Seattle Center or call 206 684-7200.