Washington State Department of Transportation
Late May marks the unofficial kickoff of summer, and with it comes a surge in highway construction. This year’s busy season of road work in the Seattle metropolitan area starts Friday night with a weekend-long closure of all lanes on State Route 520 across Lake Washington.
Contractor crews working for the Washington State Department of Transportation will use the May 30-to-June 2 closure to continue pouring concrete – up to55 truckloads – for the roadway deck on the new West Connection Bridge.
This weekend’s closure is the first of four SR 520 closures planned in the next five weeks. The bridge will remain open the weekend of June 14 to accommodate drivers attending graduation ceremonies at the University of Washington.
Friday, May 30, to Monday, June 2:
- Crews will close all lanes of SR 520 from Montlake Boulevard to I-405 at 11 p.m.
- To cross Lake Washington plan to use I-90 or an alternate route around the lake.
- Crews will install tolling infrastructure and place more than 10,000 tons of asphalt for the Eastside Transit and HOV Project.
- All lanes are scheduled to reopen in time for the morning commute at 5 a.m. Monday.
Friday, June 6, to Monday, June 9:
A trio of closures will take place the first full weekend in June, all scheduled to begin at 10 p.m. that Friday and conclude by 5 a.m. the following Monday:
- Both directions of SR 520 will be closed between Montlake Boulevard and I-405 for ongoing bridge work.
- The two right lanes of northbound Interstate 5 at the West Seattle Freeway will be closed to replace aging expansion joints. Additionally, on Saturday and Sunday only, up to two northbound lanes across the Ship Canal Bridge will be closed 3:30 to11 a.m. and one lane through dusk for pavement repair and guardrail work.
- Southbound State Route 99 from Denny Way to South Spokane Street will be closed to shift southbound traffic onto a new route through the State Route 99 tunnel project site.
June through August highlights
Many other road construction projects to maintain, repair and preserve vital highway infrastructure get underway this summer on Interstate 5, Interstate 90 and State Route 99.
- Beginning in July, more than 300 concrete panels will be replaced on I-5 between North 117th Street and State Route 104. The work will require overnight closures of multiple lanes and ramps.
- Also in July, work to replace two aging expansion joints on westbound I-90 at the East Channel Bridge, between Bellevue and Mercer Island, will close three lanes around the clock for up to seven days.
- Concrete road panel replacement will require overnight closures of multiple lanes of SR 99 between Spokane Street and the Alaskan Way Viaduct from August until fall.
- Crews working for WSDOT and Sound Transit have begun work to realign the eastbound I-90 off-ramps to Bellevue Way and I-405 as part of a project to add HOV lanes to I-90 between Seattle and Bellevue. This stage of work will require around-the-clock closures of the eastbound off-ramps to Bellevue Way and I-405 later this summer.
Know before you go
Drivers are urged to plan ahead during this busy construction season. WSDOT offers many tools and resources to help give travelers an advantage and take the edge off road closures:
- Check the Seattle traffic page before hitting the road
- Use travel alerts to get real-time information about blocking incidents
- Download WSDOT’s mobile app
- Follow @wsdot_traffic on Twitter
- Call 5-1-1 for traffic updates
- Check the What’s Happening Now website for updates
WSDOT’s senior region and program officials will be available to answer media questions and provide an overview about this weekend’s SR 520 closures and three other closures in the Seattle area June 6-9.
- When: 10 a.m. Thursday, May 29
- Where: University of Washington, Canoe House at Waterfront Activities Center
- Who: Lorena Eng, WSDOT regional administrator and Ian Sterling, SR 520 Media Relations Coordinator
- Parking: UW parking lot E12. Free with UW media pass or $3 per hour without. Contact UW at 206-221-3701 for a pass.
Hyperlinks within this release:
- SR 520 Orange Page: www.wsdot.wa.gov/Projects/SR520Bridge/520orangepage/
- Expansion joint replacement work: www.wsdot.wa.gov/projects/i5/seattlebridgerepair/
- 300 concrete panels: www.wsdot.wa.gov/projects/i5/ne117thstsr104pavementrepair/
- Aging expansion joints: www.wsdot.wa.gov/projects/i90/wbeastchnlbrdgexpjointrpr/
- State Route 99: www.wsdot.wa.gov/projects/sr99/spokanesttoawv/
- Eastbound I-90 off-ramps: www.wsdot.wa.gov/projects/i90/twowaytransit/
- Seattle traffic page: www.wsdot.com/traffic/seattle/default.aspx
- Travel alerts: www.wsdot.com/traffic/trafficalerts/default.aspx
- Mobile app: www.wsdot.wa.gov/Inform/mobile.htm
- @wsdot_traffic: twitter.com/wsdot_traffic
- What’s Happening Now: www.wsdot.wa.gov/construction/pugetsound/today.htm
- UW Waterfront Activities Center/UW parking lot E12: www.washington.edu/ima/wac/
- SR 520 West Connection Bridge Project: www.wsdot.wa.gov/Projects/SR520Bridge/BridgeAndLandings/520_wcb.htm