Washington State Department of Transportation
Drivers who use the southbound Interstate 5 main line and the collector—distributor should be prepared for lane and ramp closures beginning Thursday, May 15.
Contractor crews working for the Washington State Department of Transportation will close lanes and ramps near South Jackson Street to repair wheel ruts.
Thursday, May 15 to the morning of Friday, May 16:
• The two left lanes of southbound I-5 at South Jackson Street will be closed. The first lane closes at 8 p.m. and the second lane at 9 p.m. Both lanes will reopen at 4:30 a.m. Friday.
Friday, May 16 to the morning of Saturday, May 17
• The two right lanes of the southbound I-5 collector-distributor, which runs parallel to the I-5 mainline between the convention center and I-90, will be closed from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
• The Spring and James streets on-ramps to southbound I-5 will be closed from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
• The southbound I-5 collector-distributor exit to South Dearborn Street will be closed from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
• Detours will be in place for all ramp closures.
The southbound I-5 exit to the collector-distributor and the exit to eastbound Interstate 90 will remain open both nights.
During the closures, the crews will fill in wheel ruts as part of the $2.8 million project to replace worn and aging expansion joints on I-5. Filling in the wheel ruts ensures a smoother drive over the newly installed expansion joints.
While the lanes and ramp are closed, drivers should plan ahead and allow for slight delays through downtown. Real-time traffic information is available on the Seattle traffic page, the travel alerts website or by calling 5-1-1.
The expansion joint replacement project is scheduled for completion later this summer. Please visit the project website at www.wsdot.wa.gov/projects/i5/seattlebridgerepair/ for more information.