Fire Damages Ballard Apartment

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

An overheated electrical cord started a fire in a bedroom at the Telemark Apartments in Ballard Sunday morning.  Firefighters arrived on scene to find heavy smoke and flames from a room on the third floor of the four story building.

As the occupants were evacuating, firefighters worked their way to the fire room.  Due to the potential that the fire might spread to other units, a second alarm was called which brought more resources.  It took about 30 minutes to get the fire under control and another 30 minutes to make sure the fire was extinguished.  A fire unit was kept on scene until 10 pm to make sure nothing could reignite.

Due to the aggressive actions of the firefighters, no one was injured and the damage to the building was limited to about $60,000.

Photo courtesy of John Odegard